[Gllug] [mildly OT] minimal adsl routers?

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Wed Aug 13 11:32:52 UTC 2003

On Tuesday, 12 Aug 2003, Nix wrote:
>On Tue, 12 Aug 2003, David Damerell yowled:
>>What about the AMX CA61E?
>><http://adslguide.org.uk/hardware/reviews/2002/q1/amx-ca61e.asp>
>>We have one; they're cheap as dirt, and as far as I can see all the
>>NAT and port blocking junk can be turned off.
>I was looking at that today and was tempted, but the adslguide review
>didn't mention that the NAT and firewalling could be disabled. One last
>question, then, as you've got one of these beasties: it's got this port
>80 web junk, turnable down (but not off) in hardware: will that block me
>from forwarding port 80 through to the inside?

Apparently not. We don't run a Web server on usagi (the box between
our ADSL modem and the rest of the host network) but I can observe
connections being refused by usagi, not the ADSL modem.

>(When I say `disabled', I mean `*everything* passed through'; no ports
>closed at the ASDL modem itself.

I've yet to see any _indication_ that that's not possible, but bear in
mind we haven't tried to do _everything_.

A few other chiark types (who are likely to have similar requirements)
have CA61Es and haven't mentioned any woes.

--
David Damerell <damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk> Distortion Field!

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk