[Gllug] Using autolog with ssh...

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Sun Aug 3 21:16:28 UTC 2003

Hi all,

I've been trying to set up autolog (which automatically logs out idle users.)
It works fine for local console logins, but not so well for ssh logins
(haven't tried telnet or rsh cos they're not present on the remote host.)

The user gets logged out, just as a local login does, but the client end of
the connection simply stops responding. The client box is fully functional,
so I can, e.g. close the terminal window or switch console and kill the ssh
process. If I manually kill the ssh process on the remote host, then the
client simply reports "Connection to host foo teminated" - exactly as
expected.

So, any ideas what might be causing the client end console to stop responding?

From the description of what autolog does (parse /var/run/utmp and compare it
to autolog's config file) I figure writing a script to run from cron
shouldn't be too much hassle - but how would I make it perform the logout?

Cheers
Dylan

--
Sweet moderation