[Gllug] Next geeky purchase

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Sun Aug 3 20:33:08 UTC 2003

On Sun, Aug 03, 2003 at 11:43:49AM +0100, Simon Faulkner wrote:
> Looks GREAT, What does it do?
>
> I can't work it out from their website!
>
> What plugs into where, where does it get it's music from?

It plugs into the network. It has an IP stack, so it acquires an
address from your DHCP server, then a server which you run on another
machine sniffs out the player and sends it MP3-encoded sounds to play.

The upshot is that your PC with lots of ripped CDs[1] on it can play
the MP3s through your stereo.

I ordered one anyway, so further installments to follow when it
arrives.

Rich.

[1] Who plays CDs these days? So last century ... I'm in the process
of ripping my whole collection to oggs/mp3s for playing.

--
Richard Jones. http://www.annexia.org/ http://freshmeat.net/users/rwmj
Merjis Ltd. http://www.merjis.com/ - all your business data are belong to you.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk