[Gllug] Cyclists (off topic)

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Mon Aug 11 18:02:52 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-08-11 at 18:40, Jason Clifford wrote:
> Many cyclists on the road have never even looked at the Highway Code yet
> they are expected in law to know it as well as a driver. Cyclists can be
> done for rackless and dangerous cycling.
>
> >  Comparitively few accidents are caused by pedestrians and
> > cyclists, which is why they aren't licensed.  What's more, any
> > accidents they do cause don't tend to result in a tonne of metal
> > impacting against someone.
>
> Are there any reliable stats?
>
> If a driver hits a pedestrian it must be reported regardless of how
> serious it is. This is not enforced for cyclists and a pedistrian being
> struck by a hit and run cyclist wont have the benefit of a license mark to
> report for identification purposes.
coming back to my email where I suggested that pedestrians have a
identification plate attached to their back.  This might be a better
idea than forcing cyclist to be registered.  While I do not have
statistics I would like to guess that muggings are much more common and
serious that pedestrian - cycle accidents and as such surely it would be
much more sensible to licence pedestrians.

I have to say at this point that I think either is a waste of time and
indeed so is most of the licencing for car drivers.  The enforcement is
either draconian or non existent depending upon whether the police have
missed their monthly target or not.

:-)

Kind regards
Xander