[Gllug] Re: (OT) Sparcs Was: SGI Machines

Mark Hazell nutts at penguinmail.com
Mon Aug 18 22:55:44 UTC 2003

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 21:06:40 +0100 Xander typed:

> On Mon, 2003-08-18 at 19:54, Mark Hill wrote:
> >
> I bought a couple of Sparcs on ebay from this chap and then went
> direct as he seems like a decent bloke:
>
> http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk/unix.html

OT :) but I was looking at buying a Sun machine from this guy a while
ago, and couldn't make up my mind which one to go for, for most bang for
the buck.

Which did you get, and for what purposes, if you don't mind me asking?
Also, are they loud things, or pretty silent in use?

I was mainly looking at the SunSparc 20 (don't need the ISDN of the
SS10) as they seem the smallest of the machines, but I'm not sure what
services it can really be used for. What do you think would be its speed
equivalent in the PC world?

Cheers,
Mark.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk