[Gllug] Exchange -> IMAP

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Mon Aug 18 16:18:24 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-08-18 at 16:42, Tethys wrote:
> Anyone have experience of migrating users from Exchange to a Unix based
> IMAP solution? In particular, how do you go about migrating existing
> mailboxes out of Exchange and into the IMAP server (we haven't decided
> which one yet, but Sendmail is looking like a frontrunner at the moment)?
> Can exchange export mailboxes in a sane format? Failing that, can any of
> the Unix IMAP servers import PST files?

Exciting news on a migration from Exchange :-)

What I have done in these situations is to write a script to create a
fetchmail file to download from the exchange to the new imap server.  I
found generally that the more mailboxes the user has the more advanced
they are technically and let them download the rest of their mail as
suggested by Simon Morris.

There is a perl script on SF to download mail from the web interface of
Exchange.  It might be modified to do all the additional mailboxes too.

Kind regards
Xander

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk