[Gllug] Cyclists (off topic)

John Hearns jhearns at micromuse.com
Thu Aug 14 08:47:07 UTC 2003

Chris Bell wrote:

>>Entering from the west there is a large multi-exit undergound roundabout
>>around a massive central wall which used to be almost devoid of signposts,
>>then as you exit towards the Isle of Dogs and London Arena you see a smaller
>>roundabout in the open air with multiple sets of traffic lights flashing
>>away to themselves.

For those who don't know it, this is a sculpture - "Traffic Light Tree"
by Pierre Vivant
http://www.canarywharf.com/lifestyle/arts/artmap/popups/pierrevivant.htm
(And why haven't you been in GLLUG since the GND days then, when we
would sit outside the City Pride
staring at the thing?)

There are a lot of interesting and imaginative art works around Canary
Wharf.
I recently went on a bike ride tour of some of them (gulp! I said the
magic word...)
For instance, the huge flagpole outside Canary Riverside is made of
carbon fibre and is called the Wind Wand.
There is a bench nearby which when triggered by motion plays audio of
interviews with local people and their experiences
in the docks and on the river.
Well worth a visit - leaflets on the sculpture trail are free in the
entrance to the Canary Wharf tower, one Canada Square.
List of the works of art here:
http://www.canarywharf.com/lifestyle/arts/artmap/index.htm

The Museum of London in Docklands also well worth a visit if you go down
there.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk