[Gllug] [mildly OT] minimal adsl routers?

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Thu Aug 14 08:25:41 UTC 2003

On Thu 14 Aug, Jonathan Dye wrote:

> Chris Bell wrote:
> > On Wed 13 Aug, Jonathan Dye wrote:
> >>

> > Make sure that you do not have any cheapo filters, let alone more than
> one.
> > BT split off the ADSL at the master termination box using a
> > specially designed multi-stage replacement filter which gives
> > a precise cut-off with the correct line termination, anything
> > less will result in reduced signal. The difference in price
> > between a full BT spec filter, and a cheapo one plus the BT
> > call-out charge, is considerable.
>
> I bought a replacement master box frontplate from solwise
> (www.solwise.co.uk) which they say is "A splitter of the type installed and
> used by the BT engineer for an installed ADSL service.".

   I have that type of splitter, the only comment from a BT engineer was
that I should not have any problems with that. The filtering is so good that
it made absolutely no difference to the connection rate of my 56K analogue
modem when I first installed it.
   I am just over 1 mile from the local exchange, connected by copper only.
This area of west London had been plagued with large amounts of aluminium
cable which took less than 6 months to corrode from the time it was
connected, but it has now been replaced, the analogue phone circuit is clean
and noise-free, with nothing to indicate faulty joints or wet cables.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk