[Gllug] Further cycling to Bletchley advice

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Mon Aug 11 14:05:46 UTC 2003

Apparently a number of you are planning to ride to Bletchley.  I've
done the ride so let me give some advice.

Don't expect to ride the whole way there.  We started out one Sunday
from Queen's Park around 10:00 and didn't get to Bletchley until
19:00.  Admittedly we stopped at a pub for lunch and did sidetrack a
little, but it takes a fair while.  The problem is that anglers and
peds slow you down a lot, plus there are a few patches of grass and
the canal isn't a straight line.

Catch the train to Hemel Hempstead and ride from there.  Then you'll
make it in plenty of time.

Due to aforementioned patches of grass, I wouldn't attempt it on a
road racing bike with skinny wheels.

Technically you need a permit to ride on the towpath.  It's free and
you can apply online:
http://www.britishwaterways.co.uk/site/Applyforacyclingpermit%255F519.asp

Have fun!  I'd love to come but I'll be in Leicester this weekend.

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>
www.rumble.net

No, Democracy is not identical with majority rule. Democracy
is a State which recognizes the subjection of the minority
to the majority, that is, an organization for the systematic
use of force by one class against the other, by one part of
the population against another.

- Lenin