[Gllug] [mildly OT] minimal adsl routers?

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Tue Aug 12 20:17:21 UTC 2003

On Tue 12 Aug, Nix wrote:

> But the only ADSL ethernet devices I've come across so far (all
> admittedly cheapo ones bought by and for others) are these hulking great
> feature-ridden monstrosities that provide primitive NAT, equally
> primitive firewalling and so on, and normally don't provide a way of
> turning the NAT and firewalling *off*.
>
> I'd ideally like to find one that handles the horrid non-IP
> authentication and PPPoA stuff for you, but otherwise stays out of the
> way, forwarding Ethernet packets back and forth; to the Internet at
> large, the subnet behind this device is fully visible, with no NAT or
> similar cruft involved. In my limited understanding such a thing is
> called an ASDL bridge, but I've not been able to find many of those.
>
> The closest I've found so far is the Thomson SpeedTouch 510 v4, which
> has a `DHCP spoofing' option which looks like it might do what I'm
> looking for. But it means I have to fire off DHCP requests, which
> strikes me as total bloody overkill, given that I'll be getting static
> IP on the ADSL link so my externally visible IP address will be
> unchanging.
>
> This can't be a terribly unusual set of requirements, so I guess I'm
> missing something obvious. Anyone got any suggestions?

   No problems with an ASUS AAM6000EV single ethernet router, purchased
secondhand from Solwise. Now NLA but a later version will be in stock soon.
Solwise provide an upgrade facility for M$, but the ASUS manual says it can
also be upgraded using BootP/TFTP. Alcatel chipset, it can work in multiple
modes, with multiple ATM channels and IP filter rule sets, or transparent
bridge mode. Manuals for ADSL units supplied by Solwise are available from
their website.

http://wwwsolwise.co.uk

   Whatever you get, buy ADSL splitter/filters to BT spec, cheap ones can
cause problems. Solwise can supply a replacement front for a standard BT
master box to full BT spec that I would definitely recommend. The standard
replacement front for a master box replaces the original line filter with
one specifically designed for ADSL, while the standard BT spec filters will
not physically fit in the case that looks like a standard plug-in telephone
splitter.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk