[Gllug] Crashes (owing to the heatwave?)

Peter Ball CFL at marguet-ball.demon.co.uk
Fri Aug 8 22:28:41 UTC 2003

On 8 Aug 2003 at 21:17, Chris Bell wrote:

> On Fri 08 Aug, Christian Smith wrote:
>

> > IFAIK.
> >
> > S/390 (or zSeries as they are now) are neither PowerPC or POWER4.
> >
> > They have their own architecture that goes back to the origional
> > S/360 from the sixties, though extended to 64bits now.
>
>    Were IC's around then? I was struggling with valves and overheating
> germaium transistors then, and my dad was still carting core stores
> around for ICL well into the seventies.

About 1970 I used to work on an ICL clone of an IBM 360 - 32k of core
was 6' x 19" rack, the cpu was another one and the final rack was the
disk control for 2 removal hard disk drives which looked like washing
machines and the 10meg ( I think) removable disk drives where like
double high dustbin lids in their cases (6 platters is I remember
correctly. - they don't make them like that now - thank god.

Peter Ball
Computers For Linguists
peter.ball at marguet-ball.net
Tel:    +44(0)20 7732 1741
Fax:    +44(0)20 7358 9214
Mobile: +44(0)77 1968 2913
45 Endwell Road, London, SE4 2PQ, United Kingdom

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk