[Gllug] recommend a (web) hosting company for linux box

Simon Wilcox essuu at ourshack.com
Wed Aug 27 13:12:21 UTC 2003

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003, ben f wrote:

>  --- Jason Clifford <jason at ukpost.com> wrote:
> >
> > What reaction do you want to hardware failures?
>
> Kit swapped out with another box/parts.
>
> > Will you provide hot swap equipment to be stored at
> > the providers
> > premises? If not do you expect the provider to
> > provide this equipment or
> > will you ship it to them?
> Expect the provider to source this.

The economies of scale usually come from having lots of boxes of the same
type that are not likely to go wrong at the same time, so their spares
inventory is low.

Unless you can find a supplier using the same kit as you have, it is
unlikely that they can provide a cost effective solution and guarantee the
fix time.

My advice, from having done exactly this myself, would be to recover the
Compaq to your offices and use it as a development or staging box and use
a managed service where the supplier provides all the kit. *Much* less
hassle all round I found.

Good luck.

Simon.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk