[Gllug] recommend a (web) hosting company for linux box

Paul Lee plee at weycrest.net
Wed Aug 27 13:49:04 UTC 2003

Simon Wilcox wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Aug 2003, ben f wrote:
>

>> --- Jason Clifford <jason at ukpost.com> wrote:
>>
>>>What reaction do you want to hardware failures?
>>
>>Kit swapped out with another box/parts.
>>

>>>Will you provide hot swap equipment to be stored at
>>>the providers
>>>premises? If not do you expect the provider to
>>>provide this equipment or
>>>will you ship it to them?
>>
>>Expect the provider to source this.
>

> The economies of scale usually come from having lots of boxes of the same
> type that are not likely to go wrong at the same time, so their spares
> inventory is low.
>
> Unless you can find a supplier using the same kit as you have, it is
> unlikely that they can provide a cost effective solution and guarantee the
> fix time.
>
> My advice, from having done exactly this myself, would be to recover the
> Compaq to your offices and use it as a development or staging box and use
> a managed service where the supplier provides all the kit. *Much* less
> hassle all round I found.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Simon.

Thats quite a good suggestion actually, as it also overcomes all sorts
of problems gaining access to your compaq
if its co-located  in a secure data centre. Also is your ProLiant ML370
  rack optimized? I thought they were
quite boxy and with colo you will be priced on a per U basis with a
bandwidth allowance.

You might like to consider renting an "virtual server" based on User
Mode Linux from say bytemark-hosting
for some fail over, or for secondary DNS or MX. Indeed a virtual server
might suffice if your site is not tremendously busy.
Be interested to know if anyone rents or has ever rented a UML based server.

--
Paul Lee

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk