[Gllug] Open Source philosophy [was] Major power cuts in North America

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Fri Aug 15 08:47:18 UTC 2003

On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 09:19:22AM +0100, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
> Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>
> www.rumble.net
>
>  "If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange
>   apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But
>   if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange
>   these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas."
> - George Bernard Shaw

That neatly encapsulates the difference between the 'old' (or brick) technologies
that deal in costly-to-produce-and-distribute goods and the 'new' (or click)
technologies where it is expensive to produce the first item and the rest are free.
That is why Open Source works in the 'new' technologies in a way that the 'old'
technologists can't understand.

--
Alain Williams

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

FATHERS-4-JUSTICE - Campaigning for equal rights for parents and the
best interests of our children. See http://www.fathers-4-justice.org

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk