[Gllug] Major power cuts in North America

Peter Childs blue.dragon at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Aug 15 08:41:46 UTC 2003

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:

> On Fri 15 Aug, Chris Bell bloviated thus:
>
> >    Since one of the easiest ways to increase the problem is to run air
> > conditioning systems, perhaps we should consider taxing air conditioning.
> > About twice as much power is required for lowering the temperature as for
> > raising the temperature by the same amount.
>
> It's already pretty expensive to run, but that doesn't seem to stop
> them.  The problem is these huge, resource-intensive skyscrapers.
> (says Simon as he sits on the 19th floor of just such a beast).  We
> run our air conditioning year round in our office because the heating
> doesn't have a thermostat.  Well thought out!

	Due to some fuzzy logic on somones part. There may not be any
heating. Some sorts of AirCon maintains a constant temerature which means
if its cold it warms the place up. Most are set to maintain 19C which is
sposed to be a good working temerature for people. However most people
think this is a bit cold.
	Experiments have been done to prove that people preform at their
best at 19C and that buildings should not be heated any higher....
	The theory is stick the AirCon in reverse and it sucks the hot air
in instead of the hot air out. This makes them stupid heating systems as
there is not that much hot air outside in winter. But unfortinatlly thats
how my parents house AirCon works in Washington DC.
	Which also means that AirCons are better at colling down than
warmig up because that was what they were designed to do.

Peter Childs

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk