[Gllug] Cyclists (off topic)

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Mon Aug 11 17:21:30 UTC 2003

On Mon 11 Aug, Xander D Harkness wrote:

> So should pedestrians, I cycle 30 miles a day across London and
> pedestrians cross when the lights tell them not to, they stand in the
> cycle lanes, trying to avoid traffic and run out in front of buses,
> having just dismounted the bus.  I think all people that walk on the
> pavements should have large identifying plates on their back and should
> be banned from leaving the house if they hold up too much traffic while
> crossing roads etc. :-)

   There is a footpath and cycle route near me which swaps the signposted
positions of the two at every possible opportunity, both the signposts and
the hard surfaces swap repeatedly.
   Transport for London have just spent a huge amount of money removing a
used-but-not-abused vehicle lay-by so that they can plant some grass, and
widen the footpath by a few inches. The area the other side of the footpath
is empty because the residents were forced out by a compulsory purchase
order, their houses demolished, then the road improvements scheme cancelled.
The remaining local residents have requested that any of the land to be used
for building should first be offered back to the original residents at no
more than they were paid as compensation for being thrown out, so the
intention of Transport for London is to hand this area over to the local
council who wish to landscape the area and install a second footpath and a
second cycle track.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk