[Gllug] Cyclists (off topic)

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Mon Aug 11 17:16:43 UTC 2003

Jason Clifford wrote:

>>>... or going the wrong way up one-way streets, or racing along pedestrian only
>>>footpaths, or hurtling arbitrarily into traffic without signalling....
>>>
>>>They should be licenced, taxed and properly insured!
>>>

>>Pedestrians do all of the above.  Should they be licenced, taxed and
>>properly insured too?
>>

>Pedestrians don't do so on the road - they use the footpath.
>
>Cyclists increasingly receive special treatment in the form of bike lanes
>(which it is an offence for a car to drive in). As such there is a strong
>arguement that they should be taxed for this.

If cyclists were taxed then they would have to build cycle lanes that
work and that people would cycle on.

Many cycle lanes are just borrowed pavements that run through bus stops
and other totally inappropriate areas (try cycling through a bus stop at
30mph at 9am and try avoiding a pram or person).

Other cycle lanes are on the wrong side of the road and require crossing
the road twice to use in 300 yards or travel.

Another common error is the entrance and exit of the cycle lanes which
are perpendicular to the direction of travel, which is always great if
you want to get squished :-)

Another thing that might need to be investigated is the provision of a
police force that works.  I have already mentioned that I had a bike
stolen a month ago that was securely locked.  On Friday someone
attempted to steal my front wheel, that was securely locked to the rest
of my bike.  I had to take the train home and pick it up by car on
Saturday - just adding to more congestion on both roads and rail.  The
tally this year is one car broken into and locks removed, two tyres
slashed on another car, one motorbike stolen, one bicycle stolen and a
front wheel ruined.  I thought I should also mention that this was not
all in deprived areas of London, they include Royal Leamington Spa,
Croydon (yes okay a deprived area of London :-) and Bank.

Have fun
Xander

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk