[Gllug] Cyclists (off topic)

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Mon Aug 11 10:24:06 UTC 2003

On Monday, 11 Aug 2003, Chris Bell wrote:
>   Beware, Richmond Park is notorious for hidden speed traps, there is a
>30mph speed limit, and you can get done on a pedal cycle, even gaining
>points on a standard driving licence.

Well, we managed half a dozen messages before someone produced
nonsense.

The speed limit per se applies only to motor vehicles. There is an
offence of "cycling furiously", but it is rarely applied and does not
correspond directly to the speed limit - in the best known case, in
Cambridge, the issue was the use of brakeless aerobars in tiny streets
at closing time. Furthermore you cannot have a driving license
endorsed for any activity that does not require a driving license.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk