[Gllug] Cyclists (off topic)

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Mon Aug 11 12:32:52 UTC 2003

On Mon 11 Aug, John Hearns wrote:

> Chris Bell wrote:
>

> >   Beware, Richmond Park is notorious for hidden speed traps, there is a
> >30mph speed limit, and you can get done on a pedal cycle, even gaining
> >points on a standard driving licence.
> >
> Speed limits do not apply to pedal cycles - since there is no
> requirement to fit a reliable speedometer,
> as on a car or motor cycle. And bikes were around long before speed limits!

   I drove a car when many roads were derestricted, and before there were
speed limits on motorways, but speed limits do apply now.

> But you are right - you can be done for 'riding fast and furiously'.
> And I guess that there might be special by-laws in a Royal Park - am I
> right?

   I cycled through Richmond Park many times in the past. There are
additional bylaws, but I have not cycled through any Royal Park nor read the
boards in Richmond Park for some time. The speed traps there are often hand
held and hidden amongst trees, and they are very strict. My dad was stopped
a while ago, he was only doing a fraction over the speed limit in a short
downhill section.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk