[Gllug] Switch

John Edwards John.Edwards at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Wed Aug 6 13:30:07 UTC 2003

On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 01:45:33PM +0100, Tethys wrote:

> "Peter Ball" writes:
>
>>On my internal network I use a:
>>
>>Netgear FS116	16 Port 10/100Mbps Compact Switch, External
>>PSU	rrp £117.50 incl vat
>>
>>Alternatively for rackmount:
>>
>>Netgear FS516	16 Port 10/100Mbps Rackmount Switch, Internal
>>PSU	rrp £159.80 incl vat.
>>
>>I am NOT independent since I am a Netgear Partner.
>
> *Ouch*. They'd better be intelligent switches at that price. If you want
> an intelligent switch, then be prepared to pay extra for it. For a home
> network though, a simple dumb device is usually fine. I paid 45 quid for
> mine (an unbranded 16 port 10/100 switch from RL Supplies).
>
> Tet

Those prices are rather high.

Global Direct (not the cheapest supplier) undiscounted prices are:
FS116 = 71.99
FS516 = 90.99

and the desktop 8 port FS108 is 42.99

I've used quite a few of them, and so far only one (an 8 port) has
failed, due to overheating by being sandwiched between two other bits
of hot kit in a crowded office with no windows or other air circulation.
It was promptly replaced.

Managed switches tend to start at about 300+

--
|       John Edwards    Email: John.Edwards at uk.com       |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk