[Gllug] can't switch between virtual terminals

Matthew King matthew.king at monnsta.net
Mon Aug 4 15:19:41 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-08-04 at 16:05, Ben Whyte wrote:
> --On 04 August 2003 11:26 +0100 Sean Burlington <sean at uncertainty.org.uk>
> > X starts OK and I am happily working in kde - but if I log out or switch
> > to tty1 - I cant get back to X :(
>
> I think X is on F7 but you may need control as well as to get it back.

If run with startx or a default xdm, X is started on the first free
console. Normally you have 6 VCs set aside for console login (I never
worked out why 6) so X starts on console 7.

xdm can, if needs be, specify a particular console to start on.

To switch VC is always alt-FX if you are on a VC. You need ctrl to get
away from X, not to return to it, as alt-FX is trapped by the X server.
On the console the ctrl is ignored.

Chances are Sean either has X running on console 2 (because only one
getty is started from /etc/inittab) or the xdm has specified some
console other than 7.

As for why root xterms cannot start X apps, there are a number of
reasons. Debian may have some security thing (I haven't noticed) or
Xauth may be denying access. The simplest way around this is 'xhost +'
as user, the slightly less simple is to import xauth settings from user
to root. I don't know how to do that.

There's also sudo, which I would recommend.

Matthew