[Gllug] SCO again

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Mon Aug 11 21:54:16 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-08-11 at 12:13, Huw Lynes wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 11:21:36 +0100
> >
> > I thought the group might be interested in this.  I have a friend who just
> > happens to be an IP lawyer, I asked him for his casual opinion on SCO's
> > actions, he was good enough to reply.
> >
> The lawyer in Linux User was talking about this also. His main point was that
> SCO have in the past distributed the 2.4 kernel

They're still distributing it:-

ftp://ftp.sco.com/pub/updates/OpenLinux/3.1.1/Server/CSSA-2003-020.0/SRPMS/

> themselves thereby
> invalidating their IP claims to the 2.4 SMP code. Seems pretty straight
> forward to me but of course IANAL.

I'd have though it's a point against them. For them to be distributing
it would seem to be rather silly, 6 months after making their claims.

Theoretically, were I to make the assumption (which I don't) that their
claims had any merit whatsoever, I could grab that SRPM, unpack it,
apply the kernel.org patches from 2.4.13 to bring it up to 2.4.21, and
have a source tree where all the disputed code has been distributed to
me, under the GPL, by the purported copyright holder.

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk