[Gllug] Sharing SMB mount over FTP

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Sun Aug 24 13:30:11 UTC 2003

Axel Segebrecht wrote:

> This maybe regarded as a newbie question but I'm not ashamed asking it
> anyway ;D
>
> I've got an iBook and a rh9 box which I use as my FTP server (vsFTP).
> I would like to mount a folder from my iBook on the linux box to make
> it acessible over FTP to a specific group.
>
> Now, I create users and put them into - say - group "xray" and mount
> the remote folder via samba (v3b).
>
> So far so good but how do I make sure that this folder is
> read/writable by the group over samba and FTP?
>
> How do I set a local folder to be shared over FTP that is only
> acessible to this group?
>
> So far I've created a group - called "xray" - and asigned users to it.
> Also created a folder in /mnt called "heaven" (don't ask).

samba can only mount as one user.  It must therefore be mounted as that
user.

so I would use:

smbmount //server/share  /mnt/ftp/share -o
username=macusername,uid=xray,gid=xray,rw

then put the xray password in when asked.  You could stick this into
fstab if you want it to mount automatically.

I am assuming here that the ftp user will be xray.

I am not sure of the permissions on the samba mount; however you could
use the equivalent of

force user = xray

on the mac if you have difficulties.

Kind regards