[Gllug] [mildly OT] minimal adsl routers?

Jonathan Dye jonathan.dye at automationpartnership.com
Thu Aug 14 07:18:57 UTC 2003

Chris Bell wrote:
> On Wed 13 Aug, Jonathan Dye wrote:
>>

>> I got one of the CA64Es (4 port version) the other day and I've not
>> managed to get my ADSL connection working yet.  I think it is
>> probably the line rather than anything else as I've tried plugging
>> the router directly into the bt master box (without the front plate)
>> with several different cables with no luck.  The diagnostics page on
>> the router usually fails the "ADSL Connection Test" test which is
>> before the ATM and PPPoATM tests so I suspect its the line.  I've
>> ended up calling my ISP who will escallate this to BT but I wondered
>> if anyone else had similar problems with ADSL?
>>
>    Are you far from the exchange?

I don't know how far I am from the exchange.

> "ADSL filters" are dual purpose, they prevent the ADSL carrier
> from getting lost as well as ensuring that it does not interfere
> with other equipment.

>From what I understood the filters were needed only if you had other phones
plugged in at the same time as the router, which is why I tried the
connection by plugging directly in to the back of the BT master box (no
filters and no extensions wired in).

> Make sure that you do not have any cheapo filters, let alone more than
one.
> BT split off the ADSL at the master termination box using a
> specially designed multi-stage replacement filter which gives
> a precise cut-off with the correct line termination, anything
> less will result in reduced signal. The difference in price
> between a full BT spec filter, and a cheapo one plus the BT
> call-out charge, is considerable.

I bought a replacement master box frontplate from solwise
(www.solwise.co.uk) which they say is "A splitter of the type installed and
used by the BT engineer for an installed ADSL service.".

JD

MessageLabs Virus Scanning Service

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk