[Gllug] [mildly OT] minimal adsl routers?

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 13 15:26:52 UTC 2003

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003, David Damerell uttered the following:
> On Tuesday, 12 Aug 2003, Nix wrote:
>>On Tue, 12 Aug 2003, David Damerell yowled:
>>>What about the AMX CA61E?
>>><http://adslguide.org.uk/hardware/reviews/2002/q1/amx-ca61e.asp>
>>>We have one; they're cheap as dirt, and as far as I can see all the
>>>NAT and port blocking junk can be turned off.
>>I was looking at that today and was tempted, but the adslguide review
>>didn't mention that the NAT and firewalling could be disabled. One last
>>question, then, as you've got one of these beasties: it's got this port
>>80 web junk, turnable down (but not off) in hardware: will that block me
>>from forwarding port 80 through to the inside?
>
> Apparently not. We don't run a Web server on usagi (the box between
> our ADSL modem and the rest of the host network) but I can observe
> connections being refused by usagi, not the ADSL modem.

That's proof enough in my book :) the kernel can see the packets, thus
the router isn't blocking them.

>>(When I say `disabled', I mean `*everything* passed through'; no ports
>>closed at the ASDL modem itself.
>
> I've yet to see any _indication_ that that's not possible, but bear in
> mind we haven't tried to do _everything_.
>
> A few other chiark types (who are likely to have similar requirements)
> have CA61Es and haven't mentioned any woes.

That's good enough for me, I'd say.

(The only problem is getting anything out of bloody Dabs. Everything
I've ordered from them so far has never turned up...)

--
`That sound you hear is configure wailing, "MY PRECIOUSSSSSSSS!" as it
 overwrites Multilib with Primary.' --- Phil Edwards

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk