[Gllug] recommend a (web) hosting company for linux box

Simon Wilcox essuu at ourshack.com
Wed Aug 27 14:43:52 UTC 2003

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003, ben f wrote:

> > My advice, from having done exactly this myself, would be to recover
> > the Compaq to your offices and use it as a development or staging box
> > and use a managed service where the supplier provides all the kit.
> > *Much* less hassle all round I found.
> >
> Simon:
>
> Thanks for replying.
>
> Let me just make sure I've understood you:
>
> I get the box back and use it for testing etc. Then I
> find someone to host my web services on their box.

Exactly right. That way they have complete control over the hardware and
there should be no issues around responsibilities if it ever needs fixing.

> Are you suggesting we use an existing box with their
> OS config, or simply rent a 'fresh' box and configure
> the OS and webserver ourselves as we see fit?

It depends on what you need. I would suggest that for most hosting needs,
taking a server managed up to OS level would be the best bet as the
hosting provider should then be resonsible for any upgrades/patches to the
OS, leaving you free to concentrate on your applications. For some
applications you may even be able to get them to manage the core apps too
(such as Apache, mod_ssl, sshd etc).

The more paranoid amongst us may prefer a clean build that they are in
total control of. YMMV :-)

HTH,

Simon.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk