[Gllug] Exchange -> IMAP

Paul Lee plee at weycrest.net
Mon Aug 18 23:32:36 UTC 2003

John Edwards wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 05:07:53PM +0100, Paul Lee wrote:
> <snip>
>

>>You don't have to use Cyrus, as there are other IMAP servers, and Cyrus
>>admin is a bit command line and arcane for some, though webmin modules
>>do exist.
>

> Cyrus is very robust, though the automation tools usually require
> the writing of a few scripts in Tcl (v1) or Perl (v2). The shared
> folders systems is much better done than Courier and UW-IMAP.

I chose Cyrus for the better shared folder system, so sales and accounts
staff could have a shared folders for example. With Cyrus you have very
fine grain access and permission control using the command line tool cyradm.

However one advantage of Courier over Cyrus is that Cyrus is not always
easy to compile and install (though the O'Reilly book goes into some
detail and a HowTo exists). The system I put together used Red Hat 7.0
and Red Hat's Cyrus RPMS (and will very shortly, require updating).

Red Hat dropped Cyrus IMAP support after 7.0. Simon Matter is
maintaining Cyrus IMAP RPMS at http://home.teleport.ch/simix/. He is no
longer maintaining  Cyrus SASL V2 packages as these are now included in
the standard distribution. Also the earlier Red Hat RPMS omitted Sieve,
server side mail filtering.

 From what I have briefly seen, to upgrade a RedHat/Cyrus installation
to Simons packages will not be entirely straight forward, but I might be
wrong ;o)

Paul
paul at weycrest.net

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk