[Gllug] OT'ish: BBC News Coverage and Sobig Virus

Christopher Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Aug 22 18:30:59 UTC 2003

On Friday 22 Aug 2003 7:02 pm, Paul Lee wrote:
> This got quite big billing on this evenings BBC news. However absolutely
> no mention of "Microsoft" throughout the bulletin.  Neither was it
> pointed that only Microsoft Operating Systems get infected.
>
> Indeed no mention of "Microsoft" in this BBC article and "Windows" is
> only referred to once.
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/technology/3173255.stm
>
> I reckon the MS spin department must work overtime keeping their name
> from being associated with the bad news. Odd how "investigative"
> journalism is suspended when another Microsoft, and only Microsoft
> products cause massive problems yet again.
>
> When you consider the time and energy the BBC commits to tracking down
> ripoff holiday companies and dodgy plumbers on programmes like
> "Watchdog" and "Rogue Traders," Microsoft escape very lightly methinks.
>
> --
> Paul Lee <e>paul at weycrest.net

The BBC are VERY wary of lawsuits from big businesses!  M$ have sued all sorts
of media outlets for anything that they consider to be in any way derogatory.
It was pointed out this morning on some radio programme or other that only M$
OS's were affected, but then the station broadcast a very comprehensive
disclaimer!

It has been my contention since the early days of DOS that M$ have NEVER
released properly working code.

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk