[Gllug] Cyclists (off topic)

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Tue Aug 12 10:20:02 UTC 2003

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003, Andrew Halliwell wrote:

> > vehicle excise duty there are enormous taxes on fuel, driving license
> > renewals (driving licenses are now valid for only 10 years), insurance
> > (which includes a tax element) and the taxes on the vehicle itself.
>
> Really? 10 years?!

The new licenses yes.

> Just as well I have an old motorbike license then, that doesn't expire until
> sometime in the 2020s...

I also have an old style license. Unfortunately I've moved home since it
was issued so I am supposed to have migrated to the new abomination.

Note that your entitlement wont be reduced - it's just that you have to
renew the license every 10 years and pay a fee for doing so.

> > A cyclist by comparison pays to buy his/her bike.
>
> And lights, locks, appropriate clothing (usually).
> Lights and locks can add another 30 or 40 quid to the cost of a bike.

Standard maintainance. How much does it cost to service a bike or to buy a
replacement light?

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/		ADSL Broadband available now

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk