[Gllug] OT: Email forwarding

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Thu Aug 28 13:24:36 UTC 2003

leigh wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I 've transferred a .com domain name to 123-reg.co.uk, and I 'm
> currently using their email forwarding facility to forward to all
> email for that domain to a btconnect email account. Unfortunately
> 123-reg have  a file size limit of 3MB. I need to find a way around
> this problem. I've spoken to tech support at both 123-reg and my ISP
> who were less than helpful - one person suggested that I look into
> buying an MS Exchange server!

In some respect they were correct.  It is great to run your own smtp
server.  Okay I would suggest running a linux mail server; however the
idea is there.

It allows you to reject mails before they arrive so they do not clog up
your inbox.  It ensures that you have control over what you want to
receive and who you want to receive it from.

My spam (and the spam for those that I host mail accounts for) has
drastically decreased since rejecting spam at smtp time.  Exim and spam
assassin can scan the mail before it has been accepted and refuse to
accept it.  This stops you ending up with a load of mail that you just
cannot deliver.

One of my brothers used to receive over 300 spam a day, which I just
could not believe because I have never witnessed that kind of abuse.

It can be a lot of work if you want to be *really* picky :-)

I would grab the exim rpms from exim.org grab the latest spamassassin
rpms and play away (or exim comes as standard on debian).

I know a couple of companies that happily host on btconnect, the only
downside / upside is that it is blacklisted by AOL.

> Anyhow, can anyone suggest how I could possibly forward email for a
> specific domain name to a btconnect account - for free.

I would also suggest that it is difficult to find a good free service.
I have seen many clients who use AOL or Hotmail as their main business
account get very upset when their service is unavailable or does stupid
things.  It is a free service and not intended for commercial use.

Kind regards
Xander

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk