[Gllug] Blueyonder Telewest cable broadband

Formi formi at sdf-eu.org
Wed Aug 20 00:42:28 UTC 2003

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003, Andrew Richardson wrote:

> Richenberg, Alan wrote:
> > I have bought a new Elinux machine from Evesham with Mandrake 9.1
> > installed. This is for home use on a standalone basis. The man from
> > Telewest is due to come soon to give me cable broadband. I've asked for
> > the network card option (thanks for the advice Xander). As a novice I'd
> > be grateful for advice on what, if anything, I need to do
> > pre-installation (I won't get any help from Telewest man on Linux) and
> > what the best security options are once the connection is up.
> >
> > Thanks, Alan
> >
> Alan,
>
> I don't know exactly what firewalling tools Mandrake 9.1 comes with but
> as a suggestion you could try the following.
>
> 1.  Lock down all the unnecessary ports and generally tighten everything
> up using Bastille.  If it is not included by default it is easy to
> obtain and their website gives good help. It takes you through the
> process of 'hardening' your box step by step.  A little time consuming
> but definitely worthwhile. It only needs doing the once.

At some point in time before shorewall, or sore-firewall, Bastille came
with mdk. Since they dropped it, I have used custom firewalls.

> 2.  Run a software firewall.  I think Mandrake probably comes with one
> of its own.  alternatively you could try 'firestarter'.
>
> If you need to find either of these packages, or indeed any Mandrake rpm
> resources, have a look at www.rpmfind.net

Oh no, there is a simple way

urpmi.addmedia  <your_preferite_name>
ftp://ftp.<your_choice_of_ftp_mirror>/mandrake/9.1/RPMS with
../base/hdlist.cz

Or something like that, long time since I did it.

And then the same with the location of the updates, if you have the
complete collection of cds you don't need to add the RPMS collection.

There are other repositories like contrib, that have packages not
included on the official distro, just fish for them.

Then every now and then, urpmi.update <your_preferite_name>, on the
updates repository to refresh the list of updates.

And to upgrade the system urpmi --auto-select --auto, that simply does all
the updating.

Want to install webmin, urpmi webmin, it checks if you have the latest
version available, if not, it works out the dependencies, downloads everything
and installs it.

Kernels need to be download by hand, and installed with rpm -ivh kernel...

I suppose you can use the graphical front-ends, I never like them for
using too much memory.

I installed mandrake 7.1 when it came out, and have updated it that way up
to 9.1. No trouble, no hassle.

On my old laptop, a simple (that's 1) floppy would be enough to kick the
ftp, nfs, http, even wireless installation.

I must admit I never installed linuxconf, or the wizards, and no graphical
staff, and deinstalled most scripts that run automatically like msec, on
the server. The laptop had quite a trimmed down installs due to being a
p166mmx. So your mileage may vary.

I never understood why debianites boast so much about apt-whatever...
life was easy with mdk, I shall not mention the red I get when I have
to install anything on the the rat distro.

Probably part of its bad fame comes because most people using it are
absolute newbies.

Anyway, it has been faced out, shiny(1) p100, 24m laptop, has taken its
place as a wireless ap, gateway-firewall connected to cable-blueyonder.
OpenBSD 3.3, it has such an old pcmcia bridge that support was dropped
from the linux kernel in the late days of the 2.2 series.

(1) too much use.

As usual part of the joy is in the trying.

Formi.

-
SDF-EU Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf-eu.org

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk