[Gllug] adsl/web cams

David Irvine maillist at glasgownet.com
Wed Aug 27 16:10:55 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-08-27 at 16:44, t.clarke wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am thinking of installing an ADSL connection at home, preferably on a linux
> box.  I hear that PlusNet offer a generally good service with the possibility
> to use an ethernet connection to the PC and a fixed IP address. Has anyone used
> them and if so what experience ??

Before I got adsl I used plus net, and generally they were very good, I
dont recall any serious problems that where there fault.  I did find
them a tad pricey though.

Nildram have been good so far.

> One of the reasons for installing ADSL is that I currently have to look after my
> elderly mother, who is housebound during the day and requires use of a zimmer
> frame to move around the ground floor (downstairs cloakroom, etc).  Whilst she
> has one of the 'personal alarm' contraptions hung from her neck, it occurred to
> me that a web cam or two suitably placed would enable me, in the event of not
> being able to make contact by telephone, to see what the situation is at home
> from a PC in the office.
>
> Has anyone any experience of using webcams with linux and can offer advice on
> how to set up ??

I have a cpia based camera, its a few years old but works a treat, as do
most of the quickcams and clones.

For me it was basically a case of plugging in my camera, and hotplug did
the rest.

xawtv, gqcam and various others all do good streaming locally, however I
use motion to stream to a web page when needed.

I hope that helps.

David

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk