[Gllug] Network/Ethernet problems

Adrian McMenamin adrian at mcmen.demon.co.uk
Mon Aug 25 23:54:12 UTC 2003

On Monday 25 August 2003 20:45, ted.bell wrote:
> I am having some problems setting this machine up as part of a home
> network. There is an onboard sis900 network card which works fine in
> windose!
>
> I have taken out the firewire card which was sharing the interup but I am
> still unable to see the card. I have gone through the Ethernet howto but I
> suspect the problem is with the driver. I have found lots of stuff about
> the driver but no idiots guide on installing it!
>
> I have attached an output from Dmesg and the outputs from cat dev and cat
> interupts.
>
> Ted

If you have the driver source then make and (as root) make install should
build it and install it.

You then need to add a line to /etc/modules.conf like

alias eth0 yourdrivername

You will also need to configure the card.

Are you sure the driver is not loaded and the card is simply unconfigured?

What is the output of lsmod?

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk