[Gllug] Network/Ethernet problems

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Mon Aug 25 23:16:18 UTC 2003

On Mon 25 Aug, ted.bell wrote:
> I am having some problems setting this machine up as part of a home network.
> There is an onboard sis900 network card which works fine in windose!
>
> I have taken out the firewire card which was sharing the interup but I am
> still unable to see the card. I have gone through the Ethernet howto but I
> suspect the problem is with the driver. I have found lots of stuff about the
> driver but no idiots guide on installing it!
>
> I have attached an output from Dmesg and the outputs from cat dev and cat
> interupts.
>
> Ted

   A quick search on http://www.google.org for SiS 900 ethernet found that
the correct driver is called sis900, but it does not appear on my Debian
3.0 modules list. According to http://www.scyld.com it should be in most
2.2.13 and later kernels, or it is available direct from SiS. There should
not be any problem with sharing an interrupt.
   Rather than spend ages trying to find a copy, you could disable the
on-board network chip in the BIOS and use a plug-in card instead until you
can get the correct driver. Almost any card will do, a 10baseT card will
easily cope with standard 600K ADSL. I have both ISA and PCI cards here if
you would like to borrow one.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk