[Gllug] Camera problems. (USB mass storage device)

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Sun Aug 31 19:44:45 UTC 2003

On Sunday 31 August 2003 21:30, Ian Norton wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 31, 2003 at 07:43:31PM +0100, Dylan wrote:
> > On Sunday 31 August 2003 18:54, Peter Adamson wrote:
> > > Hmm I'm having a little bit of trouble getting a new digital camera to
> > > work.
> > >
> > > It's a Kyocera finecam s5.
> > >
> > > It's supposed to be a USB storage device.
> > > I've already got an MP3 player which acts a a USB mass storage device.,
> > > that I've already configured,
> > > so usbdevfs is mounted etc.
> > >
> > > I've put the camera into the MP3 players socket, guessing I could just
> > > mount the camera like I do my MP3 player.
> > > but I get:
> > >
> > > [paga at localhost paga]$ mount /mnt/mp3/
> > > mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device
> > > [paga at localhost paga]$
> >
> > The device assigned isn't dependent on the USB socket you use. If you
> > look at the system messages (likely on console 10 [press Alt-Ctrl-F10,
> > then Alt-F7 to go back to the GUI]) then it'll tell you what sd? it's on.
> > I'd try /dev/sdb1 first...
>
> when u insert a usb mass storage device, it comes up as the next available
> scsi disk,

Well, not always... I have a card reader which came up (on a new install) as
sdb even though there was no existing sda. My digicam then turned up as sdc,
evem without the card reader attached. Today, when I plugged a friends cam in
it decided to be sda. So who knows, in practise, what is going to happen.

Dylan

--
Sweet moderation
Heart of this nation