[Gllug] Cyclists (off topic)

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Mon Aug 11 16:54:13 UTC 2003

On Mon 11 Aug, Kristian Davies bloviated thus:

> There is a new law coming out next year/being touted regarding cyclists and
> being uninsured.  Where by it's pretty much automatic that the driver of the
> motor vehicle is at fault (if one was involved).  (so my motorcycle
> instructor says)

Bzzzzt.  Don't listen to anyone who reads and believes the tabloids.

"The EU proposals only relate to insurance, not to the underlying legal
 position in relation to liability. The proposals state that any
 driver has to have a minimum amount of cover in relation to certain
 eventualities, including causing personal injury to a cyclists. Eg
 any european driver's insurance policy must have a minimum amount of
 cover for causing possible personal injury to a cyclist."

http://www.lcc.org.uk/news/news_archives/2002_news/briefing_european_insurance_directive.asp

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>
www.rumble.net

"Why do we have to hide from the police, Daddy?"
"Because we use emacs, son. They use vi."