[Gllug] Cyclists (off topic)

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Mon Aug 11 17:01:22 UTC 2003

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:

> > > Not to mention selfish cyclists (as seen on pavements around the UK)?
> >
> > ... or going the wrong way up one-way streets, or racing along pedestrian only
> > footpaths, or hurtling arbitrarily into traffic without signalling....
> >
> > They should be licenced, taxed and properly insured!
>
> Pedestrians do all of the above.  Should they be licenced, taxed and
> properly insured too?

Pedestrians don't do so on the road - they use the footpath.

Cyclists increasingly receive special treatment in the form of bike lanes
(which it is an offence for a car to drive in). As such there is a strong
arguement that they should be taxed for this.

Licensing may be appropriate too. Previously I didn't think so however the
attrocious cycling I often see in town - including accidents caused by it
- lead me to think there is merit in the idea.

As to insurance if you don't have third party cover already you are
risking a lot as in the event that you ride someone over you can be sued
just as a car driver can.

People struck by a bike can suffer significant injuries leading to large
compensation claims.

If you don't have insurance you may end up selling your bike and lots of
other possessions to pay the claim.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/		ADSL Broadband available now

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk