[Gllug] E-Mail mbox folders -> PostgreSQL database

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Mon Dec 1 17:10:15 UTC 2003

I'm slowly drowning under a sheer size of my recieved e-mail archive,
so I've decided its time to move it all into a PostgreSQL database.

My basic requirements are:

  * Read-only access to email archives in the DB
  * Bulk import from mbox files
  * Preferrably written in Perl
  * Data structure which is reasonably well normalized
    (ie deals with nested attachments, stores each header
        as a separate row)

Optionally:

  * A simple command line tool / web page for running
    full text searches against the bodies with conditions
    defined on headers.
  * A way of saving queries to be run again at a later
    date.

I don't really want a complete web mail system with the kitchen
sink - they all ultimately suck in either performance or usability
& besides, I'm more than happy with Mutt as an every day MUA - I
just want a quick & easy tool for managing long term archival.

Before I write something myself, does anyone know of a tool which
already exists ?

Dan.
--
|=-               http://www.berrange.com/~dan/gpgkey.txt             -=|