[Gllug] serial trigger level

Peter Childs blue.dragon at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Dec 3 20:39:59 UTC 2003

Chris Bell wrote:

>On Wed 03 Dec, t.clarke wrote:
>

>>I am speaking totally from memory, but I though 'setserial' or at least some
>>other command allowed you to change the trigger level without recompiling
>>the kernel.    Alternatively, it might have been some frig that modded a
>>flag in the kernel to take effect on reboot.
>>Sorry, not very helpful, but if I find anything later and no-one else
>>has come up with anything I will re-post.
>>
>>What CPU are you using ?  - anything half decent should not be dropping
>>serial interrupts unless you are hammering it to death !!
>>
>>Tim
>>

>   Are you having problems caused by different earths, or low signal levels?
>You could try a ferrite common mode filter that clips round the cable, or a
>few turns through a larger ferrite core (I use the core from an old TV line
>output transformer), otherwise optical isolators or pulse transformers.

    Its not garbled messages as that would produce its sending. Its
missing characters. The error can be recreated with a python script and
a loop back cable.  :)
    Yes setserial should be the right command but it seams to be a
missing feature.  Current theory is I can reporgram the uart with a one
line C program. So I might have to patch setserial and give the patch to
the right developer... (Grone..)

Peter Childs

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk