[Gllug] Controversial Joel Spolsky article

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Tue Dec 16 10:11:13 UTC 2003

This one time, at band camp, Christopher Hunter wrote:

> Where I used to do my journalism, yes.  These days, impartiality is seen as a
> flaw!

IT journalists in the US aren't allowed to take
bribes^h^h^h^h^h^hfreebies from PR agencies and the like.  I know in
Australia that there was a tacit understanding amongst us reptiles
that the first publisher to start that kinda bullshit would wake up
with a horse's head in his bed.  It's a crap job so there has to be
some kind of perk!

I think more realistically, the problem isn't so much corruption as
lack of knowledge.  IT journalism is such a thankless, underpaid
profession that the writers with a clue end up on greener pastures.
I got out of the game because I got sick of being the one asking
intelligent questions at press conferences and then seeing my question
in everyone else's copy.

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>
www.rumble.net

 "We live in an age of music for people who don't like music.
  The record industry discovered some time ago that there aren't
  that many people who actually like music. For a lot of people,
  music's annoying, or at the very least they don't need it.
  They discovered if they could sell music to a lot of those
  people, they could sell a lot more records."
- T Bone Burnett
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk