[Gllug] Network cards

Peter Childs blue.dragon at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Dec 10 09:51:55 UTC 2003

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Christopher Hunter wrote:

> On Tuesday 09 Dec 2003 9:25 pm, Chris Bell wrote:
>
> >    There are at least two common drivers for "8139" cards, either of which
> > may or may not work. I think one is called something like 8139too, you
> > should find details in the ethernet HOWTO. I check using Knoppix.
>
> I've had similar problems, and alternative 8139 drivers sorted them out.
> Knoppix seems to be the tool of choice for driver discovery - the hardware
> detection routines are second-to-none!
>
> Chris

	After loads of messing about and putting a different card in.... I
decieded to have a look at the driver disk.... (Not usally my first plan
with linux :()
	However on it was a text file saying "Redhat should auto detect
the card" (Not very usful for debian you might think) but it did contain
the word tulip so I thought lets try the tulip drivers. they worked first
time. Its really strange that you can search the web for an answer it
points you down all sorts of bind alleys and never even surgest the answer
that was sitting on the driver disk the whole time.

Peter Childs

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk