[Gllug] Hardware problems

Jon Dye jon at pecorous.co.uk
Wed Dec 10 10:29:10 UTC 2003

Hi,

I'm having problems with my hardware and although not strictly linux I
thought people on this list might be able to advise.

When running linux I used to occasionally get programs crash (with
segmentation fault usually) and sometimes not able to restart them
again.  I then noticed some kernel oopses which I emailed to the debian
bug report system as I assumed they were kernel bugs but I got a reply
telling me it was probably hardware.

The crashes have got a lot more frequent now (at least once per day) and
I've been trying to find out exactly what I need to replace.  I ran
memtest86 overnight with no errors so i guess it's probably not CPU or
memory.  I then ran badblocks on my drive (badblocks -s 20 /dev/hda)
from the gentoo liveCD and it crashed with a kernel oops after 5
minutes.  I think the drive is OK as I'm pretty sure I had the problems
with my previous drive but I'll stick it in another computer and run
badblocks at some point.  This leaves me thinking it must be the
motherboard.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what else I can try to comfirm or
deny that it is the motherboard?  Any one disagree with my diagnoses so far?

Thanks,

JD

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk