[Gllug] Bad Power Supply

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Wed Dec 10 12:21:55 UTC 2003

On Wed 10 Dec, t.clarke wrote:

> Sorry,  havn't followed the entire thread on this  - but from experience
> the most common PC failure seems to be power supplies - sometimes the whole
> thing dies, sometimes only one of the several voltages.   When you see whats
> in them and how cheap they are its not too surprising !  Personally, I find its
> worthwhile using a higher-capacity power supply even if its 'over the top'.
>
> Tim

   Beware though that there are minimum (often 5-10 percent for the 5 volt
rail) and optimum (perhaps somewhere between 75 and 85 percent?) loadings
for switch mode PSUs. There may be few components, but they are very
carefully designed and matched. They usually have a PS-good indicator lead,
and a crowbar fail-safe system that is instant death on over-voltage output.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk