[Gllug] mp3 encoding from Real Player output

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Wed Dec 31 00:54:49 UTC 2003

bradut at intelesuri.net wrote:

>Happy Holidays everyone and an Excellent New Year to all of you !
>
>I want to be able to record the new year's eve program of a radio
>station. I listen to it with RealPlayer 8 in Debian.
>At the moment I can record a wav file with vsound, and then convert it
>to mp3 via toolame.
>The problem is that wav files are enormous in terms of disk space so
>I've been trying to do the mp3 conversion on the fly so to speak.
>So far the most 'sensible' option was 'toolame /dev/dsp file.mp3', but
>that gives a blank file. I've also tried a sox | toolame solution, but
>that gives just garbage sound.

I am guessing that the download as real will not be excessive.

What you could do is to take the raw stream:

mplayer http://ogg.smgradio.com/vr96.ogg -ao pcm -aofile virginradio.raw

The above command will take the ogg stream from virgin radio and dump it
to a raw audio file on my hard drive.  The raw stream as real should be
small enough to at least save.

I have been having a few hiccoughs trying to redirect the output of
mplayer to stdout rather than a file.  You might need to use mkfifo to
make a device that will allow you to redirect the stream once you have
saved it.

Kind regards
Xander

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk