[Gllug] mp3 encoding from Real Player output

bradut at intelesuri.net bradut at intelesuri.net
Tue Dec 30 23:20:48 UTC 2003

Happy Holidays everyone and an Excellent New Year to all of you !

I want to be able to record the new year's eve program of a radio
station. I listen to it with RealPlayer 8 in Debian.
At the moment I can record a wav file with vsound, and then convert it
to mp3 via toolame.
The problem is that wav files are enormous in terms of disk space so
I've been trying to do the mp3 conversion on the fly so to speak.
So far the most 'sensible' option was 'toolame /dev/dsp file.mp3', but
that gives a blank file. I've also tried a sox | toolame solution, but
that gives just garbage sound.

My thinking so far is that I should be able to redirect the output from
RealPlayer (which if I understand correctly comes to my ears via
/dev/dsp...right ?) to an *.mp3 file.

My other solution in extremis would be a script which will record a wave
file for a set time then start another. The set time should be long
enough to allow 'toolame' to convert the previous wav.file, which gets
subsequently deleted and so on.... But anyway this seems rather ugly.

Could anyone suggest a way to redirect to output of realplayer to
toolame for example ?

Thanks,  any other suggestions are as always welcome.

Bradut
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk