[Gllug] mp3 encoding from Real Player output

Tethys tet at createservices.com
Tue Dec 30 23:54:06 UTC 2003

bradut at intelesuri.net writes:

>The problem is that wav files are enormous in terms of disk space so
>I've been trying to do the mp3 conversion on the fly so to speak.

A bit of a copout, I know, but the obvious answer is to buy more
storage. Disk space is cheap. Also, MP3 encoding is a CPU intensive
process. Do you have a fast enough processor to do it in real time
(I have no idea what current processors can do -- I do all my encoding
on a 550MHz PIII).

>So far the most 'sensible' option was 'toolame /dev/dsp file.mp3', but
>that gives a blank file. I've also tried a sox | toolame solution, but
>that gives just garbage sound.

You could try supplying /dev/stdout to vsound as the output filename,
and then pipe directly into toolame.

Other than that, the only thing to add is the obligatory plug for the
free solution... Ogg Vorbis. All of my online music is in Ogg Vorbis
format (although with the price of disks these days, I'm thinking of
reencoding it with {Ogg ,}FLAC).

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk