[Gllug] DNS and SMTP Problem

Peter Childs blue.dragon at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Dec 1 11:08:53 UTC 2003

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003, wendy carr wrote:

> Hi All,
> I have converted my office Internet connectivity from
> ISDN to Broadband recently. The linux clients on the
> network cannot send emails but able to down load
> emails from the POP server.I am using one static IP
> and use ISP's DNS.
> I am getting broadband from an ISP different to the
> one hosting my email server and web server.Could this
> be the problem? do i have to transfer the email/web
> hosting to the broadband ISP ?Running my own email/web
> server is my ultimate goal.Any idea?

	Which SMTP server are they using? SMTP servers will not work as
"Open Relays" as this creates serious spam problems. Most ISP SMTP servers
are set up only to accept 1> Incomming Email for what ever it
administrates. and 2> Outgoing EMail from a specified list. (ie the ISPs
customers)
	To fix this problem you have two options.

1> Change all the Mail Clients to point at the new ISPs mail server.

2> Install a SMTP server on one of your local machines and point the
computers at this. This has an advantage in that you can see what people
are doing and also means you are not relly SMTP server that may go down,
The down side is that you have to know how to administrate it. Some are
easier than others to set up but once done unless you have a problem it
just runs. (For a quick solution avoid sendmail try QMail or EXIM)

Peter Childs
(Other SMTP servers are available)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk