[Gllug] DNS and SMTP Problem

Dave van Zijl dave10810 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Dec 1 10:36:03 UTC 2003

--- wendy carr <wendy_carr2003 at yahoo.co.uk> wrote: > >
I have converted my office Internet connectivity
> from
> ISDN to Broadband recently. The linux clients on the
> network cannot send emails but able to down load
> emails from the POP server.

Hang on, does this mean that windows clients are able
to send mail? If so then that means the following
definitely won't help:
Is the company hosting your mail also your old ISP? If
so then they're probably limiting the IP addresses
that are allowed to send mail through that box and now
that you're coming from a different IP it's blocking
you. Or are you getting any helpful error messages
when you try to send?

> I am using one static IP
> and use ISP's DNS.
> I am getting broadband from an ISP different to the
> one hosting my email server and web server.Could
> this
> be the problem? do i have to transfer the email/web
> hosting to the broadband ISP ?

I think if you can pop then the names are resolving so
probably nothing to do with DNS

Cheers
Dave

http://www.yahoo.co.uk/robbiewilliams