[Gllug] [OT] - Video Capture Hardware query

Andy Farnsworth farnsaw at stonedoor.com
Mon Dec 22 18:59:37 UTC 2003

Merry Christmas everyone!
            My brother-in-law is very interested in transferring his 8mm
video tape to DVD and/or Video CD.  He is looking for a decent video
capture card and I have been trying to help him out with limited
success.  It appears that the options are as follows:

1)       Super Cheap Mpeg2 video capture card with limited support
2)       USB Video Capture device
3)       ATI Radeon All-in-Wonder card
4)       Super Expensive Mpeg2 video capture card

The super cheap does not appeal to me and the super expensive does not
appeal to my sister and brother-in-law so we are looking at the middle
two options.  What I a want is experience with these devices and how
well they actually work in the real world.

The USB device I am looking at is the USB Instant DVD device:

http://www.adstech.com/products/USB_Instant_DVD/intro/usb700intro.asp?pi
d=USBAV-700

I won't go into detail as if you have this device (or one like it) you
know what it it.

The Radeon All-In-Wonder cards claim to be good and reviews are ok, but
I want personal experiences.  Also, for video capture, does it matter if
it is a 7500, 8500, 9000 etc. I know it makes a difference for the 3d
video performance, however they will be upgrading from a Gforce2MX so
even the 7500 will be a big improvement.

The big kicker here is that is for windows only as they have not (yet)
been converted to Linux.

Thanks everyone for your help,

Andy Farnsworth