[Gllug] domain name redirection

ben f ben_m_f at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Dec 16 12:16:28 UTC 2003

 --- Jeremy Booth <jeremy at computerbooth.com> wrote: >
ben f said:
> > Hi
> >
> > I have adsl at home with a static ip, so I'd like
> > point my domain name's tags at that ip. Trouble
> is,
> > DSVR won't do this as they don't want to be
> > responsible for the DNS when I'm not paying them
> > anything (although I did register the domain
> through
> > them).
>
> you gets what you pay for ;)

Yeah, I have no complaints with them!

> Get youself a granite canyon account (never used
> them myself, but they are
> supposed to be ok from what i've heard), update the
> dns entried to poin to
> your adsl ip. Update the dns servers with your
> domain registrar to point
> to the granite canyon dns server.

I have started this process! Thanks for this pointer.
I  stumbled across gc a while back but just made a
(sketchy) mental note. Good job you could put a name
forward...

> > BTW, I have 48 hours!!!!!
>
> Unless you have someone with their own dns servers
> willing to help you
> out, it could be tight, it can take that long just
> for the updated details
> with your registrar to propogate.

Sorry, I should have clarified that. I mean that DSVR
will only give me 48 hours to find a new DNS provider
for them to update their records with. The site does
not have to be "resolvable" within 48 hours. Still,
I'd rather have 48 days! :-)

I'll post how I get on with gc.

Thanks,

Ben